Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Get Rid of It!

Sunday was a cold rainy/sleety/freezing rainy day. I drove my friend, Laura, to church so she didn't have to drive in the mess, which turned out well because it was raining when we went into church but was sleeting/icing when we got out of church. When we got back to my house we started watching the Live Sound of Music (that I DVR'd) production and enjoying not being in the cold weather. 

Theeeeen Laura got an idea to help me clean out and organize my closets. If you've read some of the past blogs, you know that one of my goals for 2013 is to get rid of things I don't need/use and unpack from when I moved in. So we began in the 2nd bedroom, took everything out of the closet and went through it ALL. I don't have much left in the closet now, so that's good. We also organized the dresser in there to accommodate towels and sheets and things that were haphazardly piled in the closet.  

After finishing that room, we took a break to watch some more Sound of Music, then we started on MY closet... 
Poor Millie didn't know what to do with all this crap on the bed!
Stuff from closet - Before
Stuff from closet - before
There was a lottttt of stuff in my closet from shoes, to clothes, to yarn, to guitar, to any other random thing you probably can think of... so Laura had the patience of a saint when she went through this with me. She also has some pretty good organizational skills and as you see the finished product below. Have no fear, I did warn her that I wouldn't guarantee it would stay this way. But, at least I know that there's not a lot of excess in here!

Closet after

Closet After
This is the list of items I donated...
So many things donated, so many items thrown away, three closets (hall closet, too) and two dressers organized, several hours later, and a few glasses of wine (for me) later, we completed. And I will say, I actually didn't have TOO much of a problem getting rid of a lot of things, so in that, it was a good exercise that needs to be repeated MUCH more often. Goodwill, however, has now benefited from my packrat tendencies!

So thanks to Laura's determination (because I was starting to get tired towards the end) and organization, I now have clean closets and dressers and WAY fewer clothes and other items.

Next up to tackle?!?! The basement... that's going to take a while, but I will get it done!

What's on YOUR list of things to do before the end of the year?

Millie afterwards on the CLEAN bed!


3 comments: