Friday, February 22, 2013

Chim chiminey... Chim chiminey... Chim, Chim Cheree...

When I was two, I LOVED the movie Mary Poppins. When I say LOVED I mean REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOVED Mary Poppins. For those of you who remember VHS tapes, yeah I definitely had Mary Poppins on VHS and I definitely wore out that Mary Poppins VHS. So, sadly, there was no more Mary Poppins. 

Sometime late last year, my friend Laura emailed a few of us and told us that Mary Poppins (the Broadway Musical) was coming to the Landmark Theater in Richmond. Did I want to go?!?! Ummmmm OF COURSE! So we got our tickets and waited patiently for the moment to arrive when we could actually go and see it in person.

The moment came! It was Wednesday night this week. Anna, Laura and I met up at Carytown Burgers and had a delicious burger dinner before the show. Then I drove us down to the CapTech parking lot and we walked over to the Landmark. 



The truth about the show... I was disappointed. :( As I said before I love the Mary Poppins movie, but the play and the movie weren't the same. The play had all these extra songs I didn't know, and different characters, and missed some songs that I liked. I mean, I wanted to see some penguins! However, Mary Poppins DID fly, and Bert walked on the ceiling during the chimney sweep part. There were good parts and all the actors/singers did really well, but my expectations were a little too high for this one. :(

Last time I went to see a Broadway play at the Landmark, we saw the Lion King. 


That is still the best Broadway musical I have seen yet. And I have seen a few: Cats, Rent, The Lion King, Mary Poppins, Les Miserables, Wicked... I mean, I have several more to see, but the Lion King just has AMAZING costumes, and the singing and dancing was awesome. I just loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment