Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Switzerland Day 2 & 3 - Family Vacation 2014

Sunday night's post started with me not watching the Super Bowl... well... after Downton Abbey finished I did turn the game on for the last minute, which seemingly was the most important part of the game... two CRAZY plays one for each team, then the stupidest fight in the world and I feel like I watched all that I needed to watch of the game. 

Ok, so I'm not sure if I explained the reason for our journey to Switzerland before, but I will now. 40+ years ago, my parents traveled with a group of college students to Switzerland and they camped, hiked, etc. Ever since then, I think my mom has had the dream of going back. So last year, when I (sort of) had enough vacation time, we finally went back. 

The campsite they stayed in the first time around (we actually stayed in rooms with heat)
One of the funny stories from their trip was that they took this hike up to Murren from Lauterbrunnen. My mom somehow ended up behind or was helping some slow folks or something, and was hiking and the trail kept saying Wanderweg (pronounced Vahndervayg) so she thought she was going to the wrong place. She never made it to Murren. What she learned later was that Wanderweg means walking path in German. Sooooo she ACTUALLY was on the right track, but didn't know it. This time she wasn't leaving Switzerland until she hiked up to Murren. So on Day 2 we split up but were all meeting in Murren. Dad and Scott took the cable cars up and hung out in Murren for the day. Rich ran up the mountain and met dad and Scott. Then Mom, Lea, Charlie and I hiked to Murren. 

First trip to Murren/or not!


Mom needed a photo with the Wanderweg sign


Charlie stopped to measure the goat


Hiking Fuel (M&M's)


Cows


Pigs

Finally met up with Scotty, Rich and Dad in Winteregg

We made it to Murren! :)

Yay mom!

I love this photo!
Eidleweiss - yup, we totally sang some Sound of Music Tunes on our hike
Giant Chess Game - of course Rich won


On Day 3 it POURED, so we walked over to a waterfall. This is when I discovered that I wasn't a fan of the new rain jacket I bought. :)





Everything was just SO GREEN! :)
Happy hour at the cafe with free wifi! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment